Things I’ve learned
Adrianna is 2 weeks old today. I have found that I am learning many things as a new mom. This list continues to grow by the hour.
- Babies do not breathe with a “normal” breathing pattern. They can go from very audible, quick breaths to very inaudible, slow breathing patterns that worry mommy so much that she hops out of bed in the middle of the night to make sure baby is breathing. This consists of gently feeling baby’s chest to look for a rise and fall or putting her finger in front of baby’s nose to see if any air can be felt.
- Babies can get acne.
- Newborns often fall asleep while eating. The doctors all advise to feed them for 30 minutes, but when baby falls asleep (and there is no waking them up – once they are out, they are out) after 5 minutes of feeding, that means frequent “snacks” in between meals. This keeps mommy very busy and feeling like a virtual milk machine.
- Newborns go through about 8-10 diapers a day according to the books. Well, I don’t know how many Adrianna has gone through per day, but it sure feels like a lot more. Probably because she has a knack for soiling a diaper virtually minutes after getting a fresh one put on.
- Babies leave little time for mommy to get anything else done around the house, no matter how ambitious mommy is at the start of her day. See items #3 & 4 above.
- Babies fart a lot. Loudly and Explosively. As gross as this may sound, it is actually quite helpful because then you know that they are due for a diaper change.
- Babies are worth every minute of work. The instant love you feel for your child is amazing.